BASHH Clinical Effectiveness Group Guidelines
(Last Updated 27th May 2015)
NICE has accredited the process used by the British Association for Sexual Health & HIV (BASHH) to produce its UK national guidelines. Accreditation is valid for 5 years from January 2011. More information on accreditation can be viewed at www.nice.org.uk/accreditation.
For full details on our accreditation visit: www.nice.org.uk/accreditation.
See also the Clinical Effectiveness Group page
- The 2015 UK National Guideline on the Management of Non-gonococcal Urethritis is now online - Please see below.
- The United Kingdom National Guideline on the Management of the Viral Hepatitides A, B & C 2015 are now out for consultation – Please see below
- The UK National Guidelines on the Management of Syphilis 2015 are now out for consultation - Please see below
- The 2014 UK National Guideline for the Management of Anogenital Herpes is now online - Please see below.
Draft documents out for public consultation
The United Kingdom National Guideline on the Management of the Viral Hepatitides A, B & C 2015 are now out for consultation. Please contact Dr Ann Sullivan (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any comments before 22nd July 2015, using this form for feedback
The UK National Guidelines on the Management of Syphilis 2015 are now out for consultation. Please contact Dr Ann Sullivan (email@example.com) with any comments before 9th June 2015
BASHH Patient Information Leaflets
Note: BASHH asserts copyright for the patient information contained on this website. It is happy for these materials to be disseminated, in either electronic or paper form, provided the following conditions are met:
(1) The content is not altered in any way (including the presence of the BASHH logo)
(2) That they are not utilised in any way in commercial activities intended to make a profit
The BASHH CEG 2015 summary guidance on tests for Sexually Transmitted Infections (April 2015)
BASHH Recommendations for Testing for Sexually Transmitted Infections in Men who have Sex with Men (September 2014)
Systemic presentation and complications
HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis
Guideline for consultations requiring sexual history taking 2013
UK national guideline on Safer Sex Advice 2012 * plus Safer Sex Advice - review of evidence *
Management of adult and adolescent complainants of sexual assault (2011)- amended June 2012
2011 Sexual Assault patient information leaflet currently in preparation
Management of STIs and related conditions in children and young people 
- November 2013: Updates to the 2010 Management of STIs and related conditions in children and young people guideline (Nov 2013)
- The management of gonorrhoea in children has been updated and is available here
- For the management of neonates born to mothers who have gonorrhoea and/or Chlamydia, refer to the latest CDC guidelines at http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/
Guidelines accepted by National Guideline Clearing House:
- Copyright: most of these guidelines have appeared in print and the copyright belongs to the original publishers (see notice below). They can be freely used for purposes of personal study and education.
- The BASHH National Audit Group has produced a set of audit proformas for conducting audit on certain CEG guidelines. They may be accessed here
Please note: as of October 2014 the membership of the CEG is Dr Keith Radcliffe (Chair), Dr Mark FitzGerald, Dr Deepa Grover, Dr Steve Higgins, Dr Margaret Kingston, Dr Michael Rayment, Dr Darren Cousins, Professor Martin Fisher and Dr Ann Sullivan.
The editors have checked with sources believed to be reliable in their efforts to eliminate error and to provide drug treatment schedules and dosages that are complete and accord with the standards accepted at the time of publication. However, readers are strongly advised to check the information provided is accurate and that changes have not been made in the recommended dose or in the contraindications for administration.
*Guidelines marked with an asterisk
These documents have been published in the International Journal of STD and AIDS and an exclusive licence to publish belongs to SAGE Publications Ltd. Users wishing to download and reproduce this material for purposes other than personal study or education should contact: Rights & Permissions Department, SAGE Publications, 1 Oliver's Yard, 55 City Yard, London EC1Y 1SP, UK. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Guidelines not marked with an asterisk
BASHH asserts copyright of these guidelines. It is happy for them to be disseminated, in either electronic or paper form, provided the following conditions are met:
1. The content is not altered in any way
2. That they are not utilised in commercial activities intended to make a profit
When citing the guidelines on the web, please give the full title of the guideline, followed by the name/names of the author(s) (in the same way as for paper publications), followed by the full web address and the date when it was accessed. E.g., National Guideline on the Management of Non-gonococcal Urethritis. Horner P J, Shahmanesh M. www.bashh.org/guidelines/2002/NGU 09 01c.pdf [accessed 22 July 2004].
Other Clinical Guidance Endorsed By BASHH